Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Xtina Travels To Guatemala To Help Stop World Hunger (PerezHilton)

Not only has Christina Aguilera lent her voice and image to a PSA for the World Hunger Relief campaign, the pop star just returned from a trip to Guatemala where she witnessed starvation and malnutrition first-hand.

Aguilera and husband Jason Bratman traveled to villages near Lake Atitlan to meet the people of Guatemala that the WFP continues to aid.

Says Christina:

"I wanted to see with my own eyes what hunger means. As a mom my heart just breaks when I see how young mothers… struggle to feed their children. I don’t think I can ever forget these images. The people of WFP do such a great job helping hungry children and mothers. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be part of such a wonderful project and incredible team."

According to reports, over 80% of the children in Guatemala are malnourished, placing it 4th highest of the countries with the largest number of malnourished children.

So how has the trip effected Aguilera?

"One of the biggest lessons I’m taking away from this trip is the importance of healthyfood," Christina explained. "If a child under two doesn’t get the nutrients they need, we can never fix the damage later on."

So true!

You continue to inspire us all, bb.

No comments:

Post a Comment