Friday, October 9, 2009

Linda Perry Talks About Keeps Gettin' Better, Etc.

“I allowed Christina to do a demo of it and hearing her sing it gave me goosebumps, and I realised that the song was hers. At that point, I closed any thoughts about being an artist down and said, ‘I’m now Linda Perry, songwriter-producer.’ I actually cried about it, because I’m a front person, I can go on stage and be a great personality, and I had still been hanging on. But I was not happy doing it, and so I welcomed my new career and came back bigger than ever. I am now completely happy and love what I do, and I would never have gotten where I am now as an artist.”

‘Beautiful’ appeared on Aguilera’s best-selling Stripped album, which contained another three songs produced by Perry and co-written by her and Aguilera. After the success of Stripped, Perry had a writing and production hand in nine of the songs on the singer’s Back To Basics album (2006), including the hits ‘Candyman’ and ‘Hurt’. Perry also contributed two songs to Aguilera’s greatest hits album, Keeps Gettin’ Better (2008), including the title song, which also became a worldwide hit.“Christina said that she wanted to make an electronic record,” says Perry. “I don’t really do electronic music, so I was really excited about it and I got my MPC out again, got some keyboards and started coming up with a bunch of music. I gave her 10 songs to choose from, but then she told me that she had to put this greatest hits album out and she was only going to choose two songs out of the 10 that I had come up with.

“She chose ‘Dynamite’ and ‘Keeps Gettin’ Better’. I was curious why she picked the latter, because to me it was the weakest of these 10 songs. Honestly, I didn’t like the song at all. She told me what she wanted it to be about lyrically, so we sat down together and wrote lyrics. It’s not my favourite song and it’s not my favourite lyric: ‘I’m a super bitch / Up to my own tricks,’ etc. I have to throw my hands up in the air and just go, ‘I am not the one going out and singing it.’ She was happy and that is all that matters! I have to realize, ‘Hey, the artists have instincts too.’ So I backed off.”

“I think too many demons showed up for her during the making of this record. I think it’s a really great record, but she thinks it’s not rock enough, whereas I think it’s too heavy.” Perry appears once again to shrug her shoulders. She says she doesn’t really want to talk about projects that haven’t been released yet, but does let it slip that she’s finishing a new album with Christina Aguilera.

Source: Perfoming Musician

Credits to Xtina-Web for the heads up!

No comments:

Post a Comment